Sunday, July 29, 2007

40


here's a song, 3,000 years old, and right now. it's beautiful for a lot of reasons; it says that god comes and is with us. it says that we continue to get into miry clay - and god comes to us and is with us some more. it models us telling others the story. it wonders how long we have, how long will i be given to keep singing this song of happiness? but it also wonders, how long do i have to keep telling this story before somebody gets it.

i am blessed to be someone for whom this story is absolutely my story. god is always with me. sometimes i end up in miry clay, the ditch, the pit, and that's not about circumstances - just my own inward journey. and ... god is still with me. i tell the story, to friends, to family, to journeyers, to the world beyond that, to you. the story is repeated, and told and retold. and it goes on. ... and i wonder, how long will we have to keep telling this story? how many more people are there, fucked up and scared and broken and in the pit, the miry clay, the ditch - and they have no idea that there is hope, that there's a god.

meanwhile, we keep singing the new song. and in the midst of our hope and longing that there are those who will hear it, we sing.

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit,
out of the miry clay.

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?
How long...how long...how long...
How long...to sing this song?

He set my feet upon a rock,
and made my footsteps firm.
Many will see,
Many will see and fear.

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song?
How long to sing this song?
How long...how long...how long...

2 comments:

PB said...

There are several U2 songs that are just gold - those songs that haven't made top 40 (or otherwise) noise and very few know about.

"40" is the best of them.

revrin rick said...

absolutely. 40 is simply amazing. and i know lots of folks who say they never knewe it was based on words from Psalm 40. that's the beauty - it don't matter.