Sunday, November 25, 2007

beauty

American Beauty is one of my favorite movies. i know a lot of people don't like it, but that's okay; a lot of people don't like Emily Dickinson either.
Lester Burnham (played by Kevin Spacey) is the protagonist of the film, and he goes through a beautiful shift in his sense of himself and the world. if you haven't seen the movie, i won't give the ending away; i'll just encourage you to see the film.
this is a quote from Lester; it's what i'm feeling today. gratitude. perspective. humility.
Lester's journey to get to this place is not an easy one. the journeys that are worth something like this never are easy. they're better than that.
we talked this morning at jifc's worship gathering about the apostle paul saying to a group of early followers of jesus that paul's prayer for them is that they would understand that the universe is really all just love. i think he's right.
here's Lester (and if i've included this on a previous blog entry, that's okay; it's worth repeating):

"I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life...
"You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."


1 comment:

Joe said...

Rick,

I really enjoyed the words Kevin Spacey spoke in "American Beauty." I've never seen the film ... now I want to go rent it this weekend. Spacey's a great actor. Talented, gifted ... finally brought Bobby Darin's true-life, triumph-tragic story "Beyond The Sea" to film a couple of years ago.

Gratitude, humility ... if I could just hold those in my heart and soul. So close. Yet today, it's mostly sadness, anger and fear that's grabbing my cha-cha's (or balls, for those of you in Rio Linda, Calif.) right now.

Grace and peace,

Joe