Wednesday, March 19, 2008

and ... having said that ...

[see last night's post] ... what struck me this morning is that politics is Candidate A telling Candidate B (both of whom represent large machines of power) about Candidate B.
i don't like it when someone comes up and tells me about me. listen to me first. help me listen to you, about you. i need to know you, know what your experience is, what you care about, what you're afraid of, what you're passionate about. and only then would i dare for a moment to tell you anything about you.
but in politics, it's the candidates' job - and the commentators' job, and the advisors' job, and the writers' job - to tell everybody The Insight, The Answer, including saying to the other guys, This Is Who I Say You Are ... "here is the deal with you, candidate." "here are the differences between you and me on this issue." "your plan won't work because ..."
there's only so much of this i can listen to before i get depressed, angry, apathetic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephen Stills (Crosby, Stills & Nash) wrote: "When everyone's talking and nobody's listening, how can we survive?" ("Daylight Again"). Bruce Springsteen wrote
"57 channels and nothin's on."

American society and culture is absolutely deafening right now. I often feel compelled to chatter in self-defense "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah," -- just so that I feel that I have not lost my voice or lost myself.

Perhaps in all the talking, I have lost touch with things far more important, including the "still, small voice."

Depression, anger, apathy... may be perfectly sane reactions under the circumstances. I believe it is essential to cling to the things you believe in, love and support the ones who are important and listen...

nonprofitprophet said...

...and frustrated with the whole mess. ~npp

journeyingrick said...

amen anonymous. let's remember what matters, what lasts ... jesus said if we get our heads all caught up in the world around us, in what's caesar's, in our anxiety over stuff that the crowd thinks, in getting and spending, in control, in power, in things that moth and rust can destroy ... we're sick.
stay unsick.
you too npp....