Friday, March 7, 2008

let's talk about love

the awesome mike l. sent me an email and he asked a question. i say we all pitch in and add as many answers as we can; i can use 'em for the book proposal i'm finishing - a book that suggests that jesus was talking about love and everything else is just crap we made up.
anyway, here's part of mike's email:

I remember someone saying that the Eskimos have like a zillion words for “ice” or “snow.” Different words conveying different meanings -- for instance, whether the “ice” would be sufficient to bear a man’s weight. I got to thinking about “love.” Of course, I remember all the sermons about the Greek words for love. But I don’t really remember seeing or reading much about OUR words for love. It strikes me that our capacity for taking in the meaning of “love” and thus for God (since God is love), might be limited by conventional wisdom, that is, the very distinctions and meanings that our language allows.
So I thought about creating a taxonomy of our words relating to “love” Something like:

True love
Puppy love
Bad love (per Eric Clapton)
Good lovin’ (per Rascals)
Platonic love
Easy love
Unrequited Love
Ex-love(r)
Luv love
Romantic love
Making love
Strange Love
Love your enemies
Love is such sweet sorrow

You can probably think of many, many more. So God is “love” and all of those expressions are the way we use “love” in the stories that are our lives. What are the commonalities? What are the distinctions? How does God fit into those expressions? Transcend them?

So, let's try it. comment and list more ways we use the word "love." don't worry that mike and i are riffing on what that says about our capacity to feel and see what god is, at least in part, if god is love. just throw some this way that explore different ways we understand "love" in our culture ...
i thought of:

love is a many-splendored thing
i love chocolate
i love my wife
i love taking naps
love bears all things, hopes all things, endures all things
love stinks
who loves you, baby?
baby love
love you baby
love hurts
love of country
i don't love you anymore
i love my boyfriend/girlfriend so much!
love letters

others?

19 comments:

nonprofitprophet said...

love connection, love boat, long and lovely, love potion #9, Love my (fill in blank) dog/kid/wife/husband/toyota/harley/exgirlfriend/church...
god i love this comment. ;) npp

Anonymous said...

you give love a bad name
loves me, loves me not, loves me...
love, love me do
luv
lovey dovey
30-love
love, American style
you always hurt the one you love
love means never having to say I'm sorry
love glove

Meris said...

Love so much it hurts
Love stinks
The feeling you get when you know you are loved...
Love conquers all

... for love is handsome, and love is fine, and love's a jewel when first it's new, But love grows old, and it waxes soon, and fades away, like morning dew... (from an Irish song)

I also recall a story, not sure if it's true, but it's interesting none-the-less. When the Bible was translated to the Innuit language, they indeed had many words for "ice" and "snow", but no word for "joy" or "happiness", so what it ended up saying was "...and the disciples wagged their tails when they say Jesus..." because it's what the sled dogs did before they were fed. :-)

Meris said...

Love so much it hurts
Love stinks
The feeling you get when you know you are loved...
Love conquers all
... for love is handsome, and love is fine, and love's a jewel when first it's new, But love grows old, and it waxes soon, and fades away, like morning dew... (from an Irish song)

I also recall a story, not sure if it's true, but it's interesting none-the-less. When the Bible was translated to the Innuit language, they indeed had many words for "ice" and "snow", but no word for "joy" or "happiness", so what it ended up saying was "...and the disciples wagged their tails when they say Jesus..." because it's what the dogs did before they were fed. :-)

julie ann said...

what an awesome game, rick! i apologize in advance for the length of this list, but i also remind you that you asked for it. =P

i tapped my itunes & these were my favorite "love" titles:

love in an elevator
love me do
can't buy me love
you've got to hide your love away
falling out of love
all is fair in love
you don't know what love is
end of a love affair
all is full of love
where is the love?
could you be loved?
is this love?
you give love a bad name
i can't make you love me
lover i don't have to love
love you madly
lovefool
tell me what love is
limits of our love
glory of love
accidentally in love
love and addiction
we're only love
if i could give all my love
friday i'm in love
i believe in a thing called love
this is love
i think i love you
love is not against the law
more love
slave to love
love is here to stay
the way you love me
what's love?
love ridden
simply love you
love for me
love foolosophy
embrace love
love me, just leave me alone
the world you love
bold as love
good love is on the way
lovestain
super duper love
don't push love away
love as love
blue sky love
runaway love
love today
i love my boss
my baby loves a bunch of authors
love like this
love my way
love me too much
ordinary love
this everyday love
seasons of love
addicted to love
imaginary love
love on the rocks
one sweet love
crazy in love
tainted in love
higher love
part-time lover
if you really love me
i just called to say i love you
love is like oxygen
love is the movement
life and love and why
easier than love
amateur lovers
let your love be strong
when love comes to town
can't help falling in love
with love from me to you

journeyingrick said...

YOU GUYS ALL TOTALLY ROCK OUT!!!!!

KellyLawson22 said...

love bites.

KellyLawson22 said...

Love is a Battlefield.

journeyingrick said...

"and the disciples wagged their tails when they saw jesus" ... AAA HA HA HAAAA

y'all's responses are BRILLIANT!!!

emprlp said...

From the remarkable mind of Leonard Cohen: "Love is not a victory march; it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah."

journeyingrick said...

AB
SO
LUTE
LY
......
cold and broken, but hallelujah ... that's as good as grown-up life gets.

mandy said...

fun! i'll copy julie and itunes this one. i had to smile and laugh out loud when reading some of my song titles. here are some of my faves:

lemon love
cute boring love
the world exploded into love
let me love you
dr. love
love is a fast song
hot love
you love to sing
if there's love
the lovecats
real love
what is this called love?
love is here to stay
one more for love
it's good to be in love
ready for love
love and some verses
love or confusion
love can find its own way
bold as love
love song for no one
love keep us together
backseat love
love hater
love in war
crazy little thing called love
give a little love
damn, sam (i love a woman that rains)
love is hell
love struck baby
love is the movement
the humpty dumpty love song
love and peace or else

"how bold one gets when one is sure of being loved"- freud

Joe said...

Here ya go, bro ...

Love her madly
Love me two times
Calling Dr. Love
All you need is love
Baby love
Lady love
Love and marriage
Dream love-r (OK, so it's a stretch!!)

Harvestar said...

In love.

"I am in love with you."

-Karen K.

journeyingrick said...

it's funny - "i love you" is very different from "i am in love with you" - coooooooool

Melinda said...

LOVE VEGGIES- Magnolia Cafe.

DM said...

***"you don't have to like me to love me tonight" -the damnwells

***what about the newish (and sometimes, a little creepy) "love ON someone"

***ron paul rEVOLution?

***"can i love a man the way i love a mountain?" -molly venter

***"i want to feel it in my blood,
like gravity, like a flood, like faith and sex and love" -dave madden

***"let's pretend: you make the bed
and i'll bring the bread, we'll do this again. am i in love yet?" -also me. ok, i'll stop.

journeyingrick said...

like faith and sex and love ...
THAT IS AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

unrequited love