Wednesday, December 17, 2008

megalomaniac - you're no jesus

one of my favorite bands is incubus. an alternative rock band, around for a decade or so i guess. soulful, playful, pissed off, hopeful. my kind of music.
there's a song of theirs, "megalomaniac," that i was listening to again recently. it's perfect.
watch this clip. for real.


here are the lyrics; they speak to me of the bosses and parents and friends and co-workers and pastors and CEOs and corporations and advertisers and tyrants who try to push us around and steal our hearts. fuck that.

I hear you on the radio
You permeate my screen; it's unkind but
If I met you in a scissor fight
I'd cut off both your wings on principle alone
On principle alone

Hey megalomaniac
You're no Jesus
Yeah, you're no fucking Elvis
Wash your hands clean of yourself baby and
Step down
Step down
Step down

If I were your appendages
I'd hold open your eyes
So you would see
That all of us are heaven sent
There was never meant to be only one
To be the only one

Hey megalomaniac
You're no Jesus
Yeah, you're no fucking Elvis
Wash your hands clean of yourself baby and
Step down
Step down
Step down

Yeah
You're no Jesus
You're no Elvis
You're no Jesus
You're no Jesus
You're no Elvis
YOU'RE NO ANSWER

STEP DOWN
STEP DOWN
STEP DOWN

Hey megalomaniac
You're no Jesus
Yeah, you're no fucking Elvis
Wash your hands clean of yourself baby and
Step down

8 comments:

Joe said...

that's fucking excellent.
that's some pissed-off, ranting, Jesus-freaking rock and roll.

Yep, all is well now. :-) I've had my mental and spiritual adjustment for the night. I'm good.

:-)

Grace and peace -- Joe

mcdaniel clan said...

so. dude. you said, "it's perfect." why? i too love Incubus and this song is sick. but, seriously, what is it even about? you're no Jesus. you're no Elvis. are the two the same?

seriously. what about this song made you say, "it's perfect?"

peace.

journeyingrick said...

hey mcdaniel clan! sup.
i said it's perfect just because it has been making me really happy lately. not perfect as in, this is the best song ever written. BUT - i DO think it's a great song, and here's my take on the jesus/elvis comparison.
the megalomaniac who is amassing power and glory and influence also wants to be adored. wants people to completely accept what she or he says is so. wants their followers or subjects or employees or family or parishioners or whoever, to be thankful and obedient.
it's the temptation of jesus in the desert. and the things the enemy offered him? all of them were great tools to get a bunch of people to follow - feed people, do miracles, use power and money and force. but jesus knew better. it had to be about freedom.
but not for the dictator / megalomaniac. you'll do what i say - and you'll like it - and if i'm not happy, you'll come apologize to me.

i've seen it over and over and over and over and over.

plus, yeah, as you said, the song is sick! go incubus go!

Chiron' said...

Lil behind the wave their bro! I was jamming to this when I first met you!

(Shrug) Music is timeless tho, and technically....so are you (shhhhhh ; )

journeyingrick said...

brave brown horse and ferocious feline - RIGHT ON !!!

mike said...

I was randomly looking at some quotes from Mao Tse Tung, and happened on the following:

"The cardinal responsibility of leadership is to identify the dominant contradiction at each point of the historical process and to work out a central line to resolve it."

"I voted for you during your last election."

Mao, of course, was not Jesus; nor was he fucking Elvis. I think he wandered a lot somewhere between intention and institution. It's funny, I'm wondering if Incubus would have approved...

Chiron' said...

My interpretation of the song was that it was generally aimed at anyone to proclaimed to be able to point others in a particular direction while remaining somewhat hypocritically exempt from said directive: (BUUUUUSSSSSSHHHHHH) But mostly it's about that giddy up cowpoke attitudinal moral minority while being that beige blandish citizen kinda stuff.

But, I've never actually been proven to project my perceptions upon the unwitting masses nor have I ever been found guilty of warping their minds with obvious latent tweakage.

{cracking up entirely at this point}

CHEESY GRIN : )

mcdaniel clan said...

thanks for the follow up! i remember hearing this song and thinking, President Bush is the megolomaniac. dude. Bush. you're no Jesus!