Tuesday, January 13, 2009

... and, breathe

i've been feeling a bit overwhelmed the last few days.
important stuff happening at work.
ordination process behind schedule with folks ready to start.
journey 2.0 visioning/dreaming process to start.
new worship unit starting.
new bible study unit starting.
lots of phone calls to make re paperwork, accounts, doctor/insurance stuff at home.
errands that need running - returns, mostly.
a root canal to schedule.
journey men's retreat to work on some more.
friends i've missed talking to over the holidays plus a week with the flu.
doctor of ministry students who are turning in chapters that need reviewing as they finish their first drafts of their dissertations.

we did manage to get the christmas decorations shit put in the garage. so, there's that.



and then ... this morning ... getting back from dropping my daughter off at school, walking to the curb to bring in the emptied-yesterday trashcans, i looked up above the houses on our suburban street, into the part of the sky that isn't quite blue yet, and there was the moon, hanging low, and clear. bright.
it hit me - i am on this planet in the universe, and there is a ball of rock, and it's not floating above me in the sky; it's rolling, spinning, around this bigger ball i'm standing on, and it's a very small part of the billions of other balls of rock and clouds of gas and scatterings of debris from explosions and collisions from an unimaginable time ago. and what i do right now matters, but not so much that i can't just stop and breathe and post something on my blog and have a cup of coffee, and breathe.

12 comments:

Bob said...

thanks

i needed that

right now, it feels like I am the spinning rock, not the moon

lisa carlton said...

amen,amen, amen. so glad you shared this- i hear a little voice calling me to stop running at least so darn fast- yes breathe and enjoy that cup of jo.

mike said...

I saw that moon Sunday night as I was driving on I-35 coming back to Austin from San Antonio. It was absolutely amazing. Seemingly caught in the middle of a bunch of crap, I remembered God's words to Job when he complained, "Where were you when I created the world?" Funny, that is a perspective that is both humbling and reassuring...

nonprofitprophet said...

yep. the moon was 14% larger looking the last two nights as it was 31000 miles closer to earth in its rotation than at any other point this year. Its a beautiful thing. ~npp

Laurel said...

The end of Act I of Our Town reads,
Rebecca:
"I never told you about that letter Jane Crofut got from her minister when she was sick. He wrote Jane a letter and on the envelope the address was like this: It said, Jane Crofut; The Crofut Farm; Grover's Corners; Sutton County; New Hampshire; United States of America."
George:
"What's funny about that?'
Rebecca:
"But listen, it's not finished: the United States of America; Continent of North America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God-that's what it said on the envelope."
George:
"What do you know."

Today we started our first translation of the beginning of Genesis from the Hebrew. Some inferences cannot translate into English because of the Hebrew syntax used. Like for example, the idea of God inviting us into creation, us meeting God in the midst of that act of creating. And the pattern and repetition in thus.....

Your list, as mine, gets overwhelming when you look at it in its litany but parceled out, it's not so bad. God meets us where we are....for me, that's hard for me to remember, but I find comfort in the pause and inner reflection.

Thanks for the post Rick.

Anonymous said...

Rick, I don't need you reminding me that I am small. I am a VERY busy man and stopping long enough to realize my smallness just doesn't fit into my schedule and it's just annoying that you would think it would. What YOU should be doing is working harder. Don't you realize that we are in a crisis? Don't you watch the news? Don't you listen to the stories of the people that attend your little church? Don't you want to help them? Don't you want them to get what they want? I know what I'm looking for...I'm looking for something BIG...for me! I can look at the moon on any clear night...big deal. I'd rather get something done so I can make a better life for my family and for the people that count on me to produce. Is that so wrong? I don't think so. My father worked hard...your father worked hard...why are we so special that we can't just be content with what we have and what we have to do and just do it! Jesus, I'm so tired of these bleeding-heart liberals always telling us that we can be something more than simply succesful. Where is the American Spirit these days? I say get to work. Rest when the work is done. You may not get a second chance.

Wishing you more busy-ness,

S/J/RB aka:satan

journeyingrick said...

satan
you're right! what was i thinking?
get behind me, holy spirit! quit telling me to rest in the lord and to know that my strength will be renewed as i trust in the lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding!
ahh. that feels better.
okay, back to work!

C. Beth said...

So true--so simple--so hard to remember!

Thanks for visiting The One-Minute Writer. Was intrigued by your response today, clicked on your name, and was surprised to find "journeyingrick" is someone I know!

Anonymous said...

dude - i had no idea you enjoyed king's x. me too.
i'm proud of you.

hugs -

jim in new hampshire

journeyingrick said...

JIM! DUDE! I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!!!

King Is Coming ...
Faith Hope Love ...
We Are Finding Who We Are ...
Goldilox ...
Dogman ...

Anonymous said...

dude - pray - love that tune.

get this, they opened for my friend's band, extreme last fall in beantown. i had tea with them before the show and also prayed with them. cool stuff.

jim, still in new hampshire.

journeyingrick said...

WHAT? WHAT???? YOUVE MET THEM? YOUVE TALKED TO THEM? YOU HAD F'IN' TEA WITH THEM???????? I AM SO JEALOUS! YOU SUCK! I HAVE LOVED THAT BAND SINCE 1990!!!!!!!!!!!!