Sunday, January 18, 2009

the man cave

a number of you have asked about my man-cave. it's half my garage. some dear brothers from journey ifc came a few summers ago and we built a wall down the middle of the garage, and hung a window-unit a/c unit (an absolute must in texas), and they hung lights and a ceiling fan. it's wonderful.
my spirit-animal is a black bear. bears, in native american archetypology, are keepers of dream-time. it's the bears-hibernate thing; bears go into the cave and dream. a person with bear energy is a dreamer, someone whose imagination can travel in time and space, someone who can act as shaman or interpreter. (bears can also appear slow and laid-back, but don't push them or corner them, or threaten their cubs. they're fast and strong.)
i didn't know all that when i did my spirit-work at a men's retreat a few years ago - all i knew was that in the visioning process, a big black bear appeared to me. who knew? my soul knew, and the universe knew.
i've always been a person who needed a desk to work at, like george bailey in "it's a wonderful life," with drawings and models and toys and quotes. (george's desk in the corner of the living room on sycamore street in bedford falls has a picture of abraham lincoln above it; george is a hero who helps set people free; mr. potter has a bust of napoleon. mr. potter's a dictatorial asshole.)
anyway, i have a man-cave. my wife named it that as we were building it.
here are some pictures:








6 comments:

Laurel said...

I noticed my "Go Fuc**** Pray" bumper sticker in the midst of your menagerie of inspiration. ;-). Note to self: Order more of those. Pass them out and save one for myself. Such a great reminder of the essential: Drive on past the house of your (not you personally Rick) own pity party, become beholden to your neighbor, your country and your world, and go "fucking pray" ...would Jesus ever use that word, Surely Laurel never would. Ha!!

journeyingrick said...

RIGHT ON! "Go Fucking Pray" is just goooooood advice.

emily anderson said...

Wow--I remember painting/glittering several of those wooden angels at Jillian's birthday years ago. Glad to see Caitlin's survived!

journeyingrick said...

EMILY ANDERSON!!! how you doin' girl??? it's so great to hear from you! yep, it's true, i keep that beautiful angel that caitlin made ...
hope things are great with you and your family!

Calla said...

lord of the rings and john lennon...my heart is aflutter. haha. that sounded really lame, actually.

journeyingrick said...

it does not sound lame!
LOTR and john lennon make my heart flutter as well! hence, they're hanging there above my desk ...