Thursday, May 28, 2009

people people

i really genuinely like people. i find human beings fascinating and interesting, and the older i get, the more and more compassion i feel for every person i meet. even the assholes. they're just broken hopeful children of god, like everybody else. like me.

i draw a lot of energy and feel happy and in my power when i'm teaching and connecting to people, in large groups or small. it's what i was born to do, gifted to do. when the light goes ding in someone's head as they see or realize or embrace something that will give them insight and freedom, that's as good as it gets for me.
and yet, i don't really like talking on the phone much. and i don't like sitting in my office at the warehouse just to make small talk. part of that may be that the job i have is one that demands a lot of time and a lot of mental and emotional focus; it's not a 9 to 5 job; it doesn't have set hours at all; it's free-form and i have to be responsive to people and their needs as it comes up.

so maybe that's why i have to have time during the week and during each day just to be quiet. to read or do emails or listen to music or drive by myself. pray. breathe. not be available to anyone else - or to my own to-do list.

so, am i not a people person? i think i am. cuz i love 'em. but i have to be balanced or eventually i just hate people and want everyone to die.

5 comments:

Meris said...

Kinda like we need water... Having a bit to drink is good, and diving in can be refreshing and exhilarating, but eventually you need to have ground to stand on or you get too fatigued and drown.

Everyone needs time to connect to themselves... a recharge, reset, reboot. Sometimes it's by meditating, praying, or just sitting and watching your favorite old movie for the 9 millionth time. Jesus did it, (well maybe not the movie part, though given the chance he might have.) There were times when he went off to be still and quiet by himself.

We are human beings and not machines... though even machines need down time and maintenance. Keeps them from overheating and going haywire.

Having time to be in your own peaceful, quiet and tranquil place is important for all beings...

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about getting to the point of hating people... Compassion can be really hard work! :-p

Dave said...

In the Myers-Briggs profile, I found that I'm exactly halfway between I (introvert) and E (extrovert). That makes me an X. Jesus was reportedly an X on all the categories, XXXX, perfectly balanced. It's a pleasant thought to think that I'm like Jesus in a small (only a very small way as my Fred group reminds me). Perhaps you, Rick, are also an X in that category, or nearly so.

Laurel said...

This all adds up to the word, Passion. You, my friend, have a deep passion for people and they know it, and love you for it.

CP Beer Fan said...

Jus like the latest country song says...

God is great
Beer is good
People are crazy

Crazy can be fun, but too much can make you puke.

MizAngie said...

I'll have to call "bullshit" on the assholes being hopeful children of God thing. Sometimes an asshole is just an asshole.